Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christmas Tree Police

Philippians 5:6 “Be anxious for nothing,
 but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving,
 let your requests be made known unto God.”

   A new year, January 2, 2012 and already the stress was accumulating. Do you know the feeling? The holidays are over, you are back to the normal routine, and the tree has to come down. That beautiful tree that took your breath away when you saw the glow of its lights for the first time in December is now only a source of stress; one more task that needs done in your busy life.

   I was already overwhelmed, and it was only the second day of the new year. Our Christmas trips and programs for the kids were over, and gift giving in our villages were a mere memory of the blessings we received by giving.  My undies were already in a bundle thinking of the tasks before me, when I was interrupted by a phone call. I would say it was from my sister-in-law, but when I hung up I knew it was a call from God.

   Now before you think there was actually a mysterious voice on the other end of the phone, hold on, it was the voice of my sister-in-law, Sharon. God used her to get my attention. She always blesses me and puts things into perspective when I am floundering, and her words are always backed by scripture. Everyone should have a  person like her in their life. She is someone who always points you to God.

   Telling her my woes she sweetly said, "Relax, there are no Christmas Tree Police." That was it, all I needed. I was reminded to be anxious for nothing, not even the Christmas Tree. So what if the tree is up for another day, week or even another month; will it make a difference in eternity? Probably not, but it would make a difference in my daily walk with the One who guides my steps. When I look at it now, it reminds me to pray and thank Him for giving me the peace that passes understanding, even through a Christmas Tree. 

   I  planned to take the tree down today, but another task for God came up and has delayed it again. It's okay, I have enjoyed that tree more the last few weeks when it should have been back in its box, than I did through the busy days of the holiday season.

   We sometimes miss the beauty of the things around us because of our busyness. BUT GOD says, "Be anxious for nothing."  But how do we get there? We get there through prayer and thanksgiving. I am thankful to God for the people He puts in my life, to nudge me and point me to Him, through a Christmas Tree and other ways.

   And I am thankful for all three of my sisters-in-law who are also my sisters in Christ. They love me unconditionally, and remind me of Jesus; they are special blessings in my life. 

   I am especially thankful there are no Christmas Tree Police, because by now I would certainly be in the Christmas Tree Jail.
  
   Most of all, I am thankful for a living God who answers prayer, and gives peace that passeth understanding in all of life's circumstances. You never know when a Christmas Tree crisis might arise, but don't be anxious, just pray and give thanks and remember...
There Are No Christmas Tree Police!