Saturday, December 8, 2012

Funny Face


When I was a little girl, my grandfather used to say to me, "Make a funny face." I'd crinkle my nose and scrunch up my face. Then he'd laugh and give me a hug––I loved that––making him laugh and getting hugs. Neither of us could have ever imagined that he was preparing me for a time when I would make children laugh in Bolivia. It gives me joy to see kids laugh and their parents also. Bolivians almost never smile for a photo, unless of course, I am taking the picture and making funny faces.

Last year was the first graduation ceremony at the Catholic school in our area. Finally, children here are able to have a high school diploma. There was a tornado the night of graduation last year––this year a thunderstorm. But in the wind and in the rain, the program continued.


I was honored to be asked to present two diplomas––one for a kindergarten student and one for Noelia, my student who attended Rumi Rancho classes for many years. All of the graduating girls were in my Bible and cooking classes.

Psalm 126:3 says, "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." What a privilege to share the gospel with girls like Noelia. I may be able to bring smiles to their faces by making a "funny face", but only Jesus can make their hearts smile and bring joy to their souls.